Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's not so bad...

Really. I'm shocked, but this whole college thing? Not bad at all. Granted, I've only had 2 classes. But so far, I'm wayyyy ahead of the game, and I like it that way. I like both of my real life teachers, which for me is a major bonus. I am NOT AT ALL an auditory learner. I have a hard time with normal conversation, because after about 30 seconds, my eyes glaze over and my ears shut down and it all sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher. I have such a hard time absorbing information that way. Both of my teachers are very high-energy, and both have a fantastic sense of humor, which really helps to keep me engaged. And since both of my classes are largely lecture-based, well, anything that helps keep me paying attention is fantastic.

And I accomplished something I'm pretty proud of - I managed to test out of one of my online classes. So, I replaced Computer Essentials with the Impact of Mass Media. I have no idea how I'm going to do with that one, but what the heck, we'll give it a shot. I have discovered though that the online classes are not what I expected. I thought they would be more of a work at your own pace, self directed thing. Instead, you have to log on every week to get your assignments, and part of your grade is participating in the discussion groups with the rest of the class. I had really planned to just go in, and work my way through as quickly as possible, so that I could take a ten week class and have it all done in 5 weeks or so, but with the way these are set up, I won't be able to do that. It's kind of disappointing, but there's nothing much I can do about it now. I think next quarter I might take more live classes though, instead of the online ones.

No comments: